By: Nima Rajan
So you’re pregnant, excited and happy. Pregnancy is a very happening time in more ways than one, your body is undergoing rapid changes, a little life is growing inside you and your hormones are causing multiple physical and emotional challenges.
Although no two pregnancies are similar, what is common to most pregnancies is that it can have a profound and lasting effect on your body. Even regular tasks such as sitting, walking, standing and working can be difficult when pregnant. Almost all women experience musculoskeletal discomfort during pregnancy.
Many of the physical discomforts that are associated with different stages of pregnancy can be alleviated with the help of physiotherapy. A physiotherapist can recommend techniques for pregnant women to manage their own symptoms as part of maintaining a healthy pregnancy
Here are some of the conditions a physiotherapist can assess and help you with:
- Relief from lower back and pelvic pain
- Help stabilize the pelvic and lower back area
- Help retrain and strengthen pelvic floor muscles
- Reducing strain on soft tissue
- Help prevent and minimize the likelihood of musculoskeletal injury
- Maintain correct posture
- Prevent and treat urinary incontinence
- Provide education around breathing techniques.
For a complete evaluation and assessment of pre-natal and post delivery needs get in touch with one of our expert physiotherapists. At Pro-active, we work closely with you and your physician. We strive to offer you complete treatment and support from your pregnancy related symptoms, in a safe and patient-centered environment.